Series: Nehemiah: Sword & The Trowel
Text: Nehemiah 3:1-32
BIG IDEA: ETERNAL HEROES LIVE TO GLORIFY CHRIST RATHER THAN GRATIFY SELF
In the text, a plan unfolds of personal commitment for community renewal:
- Redemption | The Heroes of the Humiliated
- Restoration | The Work of Servant Heroes
- Responsibility of Individual Servant Heroes
Read Nehemiah 3:1-32. Read the passage and consider the following questions.
Redemption | The Heroes of the Humiliated
- What has brought humiliation upon God’s people in Jerusalem? And what’s the result?
- What humiliation have you experienced from sin?
- What is unique about the servant heroes God raises up to rebuild the walls?
- Read Romans 5:5-11. Who did God raise up to help the very souls of mankind by reversing humiliation of sin? How did God save us? What did God save us from?
Practical Step: Take a moment in your CG for a couple of people to share their stories of how Jesus changed them?
Restoration | The Work of Servant Heroes
- Read Nehemiah 2:18. What was the work of restoration that Jerusalem committed to do? What is the work of restoration Jesus has given His Church to do? (Matthew 28:18-20 and 2 Cor. 5:17-21)
- If you look at verses 2-31 there is a repetitive phrase showing unity. What is the phrase? What can you and your CG do to help foster unity in all of River Market Community Church?
Practical Step: Brainstorm and think of creative ideas about how your CG can do the work of restoration in your neighborhoods during COVID-19. Commit to taking one action as a group.
Responsibility of Individual Servant Heroes
- Read Nehemiah 3:5. Do you ever struggle to serve others? Who? When? Why? Is there any sin you need to confess or any person you need to ask forgiveness?
- Read Philippians 3:8-11. Why does Paul look at serving as a privilege and priceless opportunity? What is his hope?
- Why is the resurrection of Jesus Christ great hope for Christians? (1 Corinthians 15) And how does it personally help you in trying times?
PRAY TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY GROUP.
PRAY OVER THE NEHEMIAH PRAYER GUIDE.