Series: Authentic Church
Text: 1 Thessalonians 5:19-28
AUTHENTIC CHURCH | The Gospel Binds | 1 Thessalonians 5:19-28
BIG IDEA: THE GOSPEL OF JESUS ALLOWS AN AUTHENTIC CHURCH TO NOT JUST SURVIVE BUT THRIVE
Paul explains the two means necessary for us to thrive. First, we thrive together in Christ by being spirit-filled, obedient to Scripture and godly discernment. Second, we thrive in together Christ because the Gospel binds us to God who is peace, faithful and gracious to us.
Read 1 Thessalonians 5:16-28. Read the passage and consider the following questions.
THE GOSPEL BINDS US TOGETHER
- How would you describe biblical thriving?
- In what area of your life do you feel as you are just surviving? If you had to guess why is that the case?
- What would it look like if you were thriving in this area?
- Read V19. How does a Christian quench the Spirit?
- Are there any sins that you need to confess and repent from?
Obedient to Scripture
- What are some ways that the church is guilty of neglecting the importance of preaching the Word of God?
- How can we get the most out of preaching?
The 9 Marks Book entitled “What is a Healthy Church Member?” gives some practical suggestions. Of the following which is one you can practice this week? And how can you do so?
- Meditate on the Sermon Passage During Your Quiet Time.
- Talk and Pray with Friends about the Sermon after Church.
- Listen to and Act on the Sermon throughout the Week.
- Develop the Habit of Addressing Any Questions about the Text itself.
- What are some practical ways Christians can obey the command to “test all things?” And is there any area you could use godly wisdom and counsel? Ask your group to speak into your life.
THE GOSPEL BINDS US TO GOD
Steve Lawson challenges us: “Who you believe God to be—what He is like—is the single most important factor in your life.”
- Read verses 23-24 and 28. Who is our God? How is this encouraging?
- Why don’t we always believe God is who he says he is? How do you tend to live as a functional atheist, as if there is no God? And how does this impact your life?
- Read v25-27. How can your Community Group commit to helping each other believe who God says He is?
PRAY TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY GROUP.
PRAY OVER YOUR OIKOS DOCUMENT.